HISTORY

One hundred years ago, an elderly Jewish man was left alone in the basement of a local Synagogue. Reverend Braude and the Jewish population of Syracuse realized
a need to protect their elderly. Today Menorah Park is their legacy. Since 1912, their vision has been cultivated and has grown to include the most comprehensive senior care facility in Central New York.


1912


A 17 room house was purchased for $17,000 on Irving Avenue. Backers for this project included the Society of Hochnoses Orchim (Welcoming Guests) and the Society of Linas Hatzedeck (the Friendly Inn). Together with Reverend Braude and Women's Auxiliary furnished the large home and arranged for around the clock caregivers. Creating the foundation for what would become known as The Jewish Home for the Aged.

1925


The Home moved from Irving Avenue to its current location on East Genesee Street.

1929


A large addition was added onto the property to meet the increasing need.

1930


Additional property was purchased alongside the existing property line.

1935


A second addition was completed.

1959


Major renovations and reconstruction was completed connecting the existing structures.

1965


Apartments for elderly couples were added onto the growing campus.

1975


The Rubenstein Pavilion was completed, increasing capacity to a 106 bed nursing care facility.

1981


The Heiman Center was added to the campus greatly improving space and structure to the growing rehabilitation areas and social centers.

1997


The Oaks at Menorah Park was completed, creating a new 50 bed independent living retirement community. The Oaks broadened our focus to provide options for independent seniors looking for active retirement living.

2002


Construction of the new Jewish Health and Rehabilitation Center. This state of the art
skilled nursing center includes 132 units providing both rehabilitation and long term
care needs. The original buildings were renovated to accommodate The Inn at Menorah
Park, which provides supportive housing with over 61 apartments. Today Menorah Park provides the most comprehensive services on our continuing care campus. For over 100
years our leadership has devoted themselves to enhancing our residents' quality of life
and promoting independence for all we serve.

2009


Beit Tikvah Group Residence: Group home for woman with developmental disabilities.

2010


IMPARA: The Rodney and Marjorie Fink Institute at Menorah Park for Applied Research
on Aging

Comments are closed.

  • CONTACT US

    Email Us

    4101 East Genesee St.
    Syracuse, NY 13214

    315.446.9111