How At-Home Care Enhances Independent Living
As people age, it can become more difficult for them to complete everyday tasks on their own as before. If your loved one needs minor assistance with home duties but is still capable of living independently, at-home care is an ideal solution. The alternative provides seniors with the support they need to thrive, while also enabling them to maintain a sense of autonomy and competence. Menorah Park of CNY, a continuum of care community in Central New York, outlines how home care allows for safe and successful independent living for seniors.
The Importance of Independent Living for Senior Citizens
Even if daily duties become a bit harder for them, many older people still value their freedom. As a result, the idea of losing independence may discourage a senior from seeking assisted living care. However, at-home care, which promotes independent living, enables aging adults to experience the following benefits:
- Feel more valuable: Seniors have taken care of themselves their entire adult lives, making it all the more challenging to give up their independence. With at-home care, they will feel more like an empowered individual.
- Maintain a sense of purpose: Independence motivates seniors to take on new challenges, overcome situations, and accomplish goals. A loss of independence can be isolating and diminish a sense of meaning in their lives.
- Retain control over their lives: Some people lose stability or aspects of their physical abilities as they age. By encouraging independence, these individuals may feel a stronger sense of control over their actions and choices, even if they need some assistance navigating their day-to-day activities. This freedom positively impacts their mental health and confidence.
Aging is a complicated phase in your loved one’s — and your own — life. By working through it together and pursuing a sense of self-determination, seniors will feel their best while living independently.
Independent Living Through At-Home Care
Independent living is made possible for seniors who struggle with mobility or need extra help with at-home care. Seniors experience a sense of independence and enjoy the comfort of their own home while having an extra hand for necessary tasks. The home care program at Menorah Park of CNY features several services that permit seniors to obtain the assistance they need without sacrificing the independent living they treasure. Aging adults who participate in this program receive the following amenities:
- Personal care assistance: For those with memory or mobility issues, this service provides aid with routine activities like bathing and dressing.
- Homemaker and companionship care: Seniors attain support with housekeeping tasks, such as laundry, vacuuming, washing dishes, and company for having conversations and playing games.
- Nutrition plans: Part of homemaker and companionship care, this service offers overall help with meals, including preparation, grocery lists, cooking, and healthy eating
- Medicine management: Assist with organizing and taking medications and contacting the pharmacy to refill prescriptions
- In-home care nursing: Seniors who need nursing care are partnered with a registered nurse who stays in regular contact with their primary care physicians and our medical professionals. For those requiring extended nursing care, we develop a flexible schedule that fits your lifestyle.
All in all, independent living can be enhanced drastically with the use of these and similar in-home care services. By partaking in care services in the home, you can increase the comfort and peace of mind of seniors who can remain in their homes.
Experience Quality Senior Care with Assistance from Menorah Park of CNY
Seeking assisted living services is challenging, especially if your aging loved one is afraid about losing their independence. At-home care makes this process easier by allowing seniors to get the help they need with cleaning, cooking, shopping, staying up to date with healthcare needs, and similar activities while retaining independent living.
For an at-home care provider that puts the needs of seniors and their families first, consider Menorah Park of CNY. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to helping older adults achieve maximum independence and maintain dignity while receiving a range of high-quality health, community, and residential services. Contact us today to learn more about our at-home elder care services in Syracuse, New York.